Regulation is designed to create a level playing field for the development of competition by defining the right balance between competing objectives such as:
- Consumer interests
- Investment incentives
- The long term growth and development of the communications sector.
The design of regulatory frameworks, mechanisms and remedies is a complex task and needs to take into account:
- Sector policy objectives
- Technological developments (Next Generation Networks (NGN), etc)
- The evolution of the market
- Potential sources of market failure and appropriate remedies
- Regulatory Impact Analysis.
Our capability statement on Telecoms Regulation: Strategy and Policy sets out how we provide assistance to telecoms operators, regulators and other stakeholders.
What are the issues?
- What are the key issues, which should be high on the regulatory agenda over the next few years?
- What are the trade-offs between certain regulatory issues and options?
- How can different forms of anticompetitive behaviour be identified, e.g. a price squeeze, a margin squeeze, or predatory pricing?
- When do positive impacts of mergers outweigh the reduction of competition in the mobile industry?
- How can empirical evidence and economic and technical principles be used to support operators and regulators in the context of impact analyses and case building?
- Which services should be made available universally throughout a given jurisdiction, what would this cost and how should it be funded?
- How can shareholder value be maintained in the context of growing complexity in regulatory obligations and competitive challenge?
- What terms and prices should be agreed for current and future interconnection services?
How we can help?
- Our global network of telecoms regulation and technology specialists bring together the relevant skills needed to provide in-depth advice to operators and regulators
- We work in partnership with our clients to establish coherent scenarios for the development of regulation and provide quantitative assessment of their impact
- We can help with:
- drafting policy papers on specific issues for internal discussion
- providing support during regulatory submissions, including developing coherent and robust arguments for responses
- designing regulatory policy and frameworks including regulatory roadmaps and organisational design
- We aim to complement your team and strengthen their capabilities in the regulatory arena.
PwC's Telecommunications Regulation services include:
- Regulatory strategy and case building
- Sector Policy
- Cost Modelling
- Retail Price Regulation
- Retail Pricing Strategy
- Cost of Capital
- Comparative Efficiency Analysis
- Separation Support
- Regulatory accounting
- Business modelling
- Competition policy
- Next Generation Networks (NGN)
- Universal Service Obligations (USO)
- Mobile termination rate
- Number Portability
- Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) Access
- Spectrum allocation and policy
- Regulatory Compliance and Assurance