Profile: Gerry Lagerberg
Gerry leads PwC’s International Arbitration practice globally and has testified on loss and valuation issues in litigation and international arbitration hearings in London, Paris, New York, Dubai, Brussels, Toronto, Stockholm and The Hague. He has been involved in disputes arising from breaches of contract, acquisition disputes and claims arising out of investment treaties, often in the oil and gas, real estate and manufacturing industries. Much of his work involves working alongside industry and technical experts from different parts of PwC both within the UK firm and across the PwC Network of firms.
Gerry is experienced in professional firm governance and is a member of the PwC UK firm's Supervisory Board, the Board of PwC Middle East and the Global Board of PricewaterhouseCoopers International Ltd.
Highlights of Gerry's experience include:
- Acting as expert witness in a multi-billion dollar ICC arbitration arising from the non-completion of a joint venture in the chemical industry.
- Providing exert evidence in an investment treaty claim involving medical services in South East Asia.
- Providing expert evidence in an ICC arbitration in a dispute concerning the over/under lifting of oil in an African country and how that was accounted for as between joint venture partners.
- Providing expert evidence in an AAA arbitration on the loss and damage suffered by the failure of a Eastern European steel manufacturer to supply train wheels to a North American importer for onward sale into the NAFTA market.
- Providing expert testimony in ICSID arbitrations on the valuation of inward investors’ interests in (i) a pipe manufacturing business in Eastern Europe, and (ii) rights to revenues from sections of oil and gas pipelines running from the Caspian Sea to ports in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean.
- Acting as an expert witness in DIAC arbitrations concerning (i) fund flows into a real estate joint venture in the UAE, and (ii) the value of a 30 year concession to re-develop port facilities in Dubai.
- Assisting a major oil company investigate and respond to allegations by its joint venture partner (a State owned oil corporation in Africa) that mismanagement and/or fraud caused losses to the JV in excess of US $3 billion.
- Acting initially as a mediator, and then as an independent expert, to resolve disputes between a US based oil exploration company and its Nigerian joint venture partner over the JV’s accounting for revenues, petroleum tax, operating costs and cash flows.
Principal industry sector experience:
- Real estate
- Industrial Products