Profile: Jonathon Land
Jonathon Land leads the PwC Pension Credit Advisory practice which specialises in giving financial advice to both pension scheme Trustees and sponsoring employers.
Jonathon's expertise includes:
- Measuring the strength of the Employer Covenant
- Helping companies and trustees understand the impact the employer covenant will have on Scheme Funding negotiations and corporate transactions
- Assisting in the restructuring of pension obligations as well as putting in place longer term monitoring of the employer covenant
Jonathon was the first secondee to the Pensions Regulator in 2004 and since then his in-depth understanding of the Regulator's Powers has proved essential in helping his clients in its negotiations with and obtaining clearance from the Pension Regulator.
Highlights of Jonathon's recent experience include advising:
- Trustees of a £4bn pension scheme where the employer entered insolvency. Jonathon and his team helped to improve the funding position by identifying and successfully realising contingent assets. Using detailed corporate structure and valuation analysis they identified group companies where the Pensions Regulator could use their powers to apply for financial support.
- International groups on how to manage and restructure their UK pension obligations in ways which enabled both the company and trustees to agree long term consensual strategies which meet both of their needs.
- An Industry wide pension scheme on how to measure the Employer Covenant of over 350 sponsoring employers and secure a broad range of contingent assets (security, guarantees and protective covenants) to protect the long term viability of the scheme.
- Private Equity shareholders on the sale of a retail company with a significant legacy pension scheme. The shareholders avoided £35m of potential price reduction as a result of the advice received.