Nabeel advises clients across the financial crime spectrum (including Anti-Bribery and Corruption, Anti-Fraud and Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Tax Evasion). He, leads internal corporate investigations and represents individuals and corporates facing criminal investigation or enforcement action. Nabeel is a qualified barrister and regularly deals with matters involving multiple jurisdictions and competing government authorities. He has previously been seconded to both the UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).
Nabeel also advises on and represents parties subject to a wide range of high-value multifaceted commercial disputes. He has considerable experience dealing with matters involving parties from Middle Eastern and CIS/CEE countries.
- Led Financial Crime Compliance Impact and/or Risk Assessment projects for multinational financial services; pharmaceutical; and construction companies.
- Internal investigation into the affairs of a technology company following allegations between directors of fraud, tax evasion and financial mismanagement.
- Undertook compliance and culture review for FTSE 100 tourism operator, focusing on third party contracting and tax. Involved conducting over 40 interviews with senior stakeholders and advising on remediation.
- Defended corporate body and directors in SFO bribery prosecution concerning alleged bribes paid to secure contracts for freight forwarding services in Angola.
- Advised US citizen resident in the UK following suspect South American business transactions under both the US FCPA and UK Bribery Act.
- Represented UAE investment bank against a former employee convicted in
- Dubai of embezzling funds in both Dubai (DIFC) and in English proceedings.
Areas of Expertise
- Interim relief (e.g. Delivery Up Orders, Search and Seizure Orders, and Freezing Orders)
- Financial Crime
- Company Law Disputes
- Cross-Border Investigations
- Asset Tracing
- Barrister (England & Wales)