We have unrivalled experience of assisting owners of discontinued business to identify and understand the options available in dealing with legacy portfolios. A strategic options review may typically consider the following:
- Exit options (sale, run-off, schemes of arrangement, reinsurance)
- Outsourcing vs. 'insourcing'
- Domicile and other tax structuring opportunities
- Modelling (e.g. the effect of future catastrophes)
We work closely with other specialist PwC teams to deliver bespoke solutions to meet the differing needs of businesses.
Our team was responsible for creating and delivering the ground-breaking restructuring of a corporate with Asbestos liabilities - the first in the UK. We also advise on exit routes for 'blue chip' captives.
We assist businesses in delivering the value associated with their strategic decisions by providing expert restructuring advice. We implement restructuring and finality solutions including Insurance Business Transfers, disposals and managed exits. Our advice allows capital to be released and recycled and certainty to be delivered to volatile legacy issues.
We have advised in the majority of solvent schemes and some of the most complex and high-profile Part VII transfers and disposals in the legacy sector.
By definition, legacy business is non-core and maximising operational effectiveness may not be top of the agenda.
Our team will give an independent view of a business’ operation and use our expertise and experience to provide innovative suggestions for improvement, such as:
- claims management strategy, including when and if to litigate / arbitrate
- skills and claims audits,
- outsourcer / 'insourcer' reviews
- reinsurance recoveries strategy, and
- commutation strategy.
We can provide support in a number of areas, including but not limited to:
- advice for directors in situations where solvency may be an issue,
- innovative options for avoiding formal insolvency, and
- acting as insolvency practitioners if insolvency is unavoidable.
We work with stakeholders such as creditors, policyholders, guarantors, regulators and shareholders in insolvency situations to optimise the outcome for all parties involved. We routinely manage run-off managers who assist with day-to-day operations of the estates. Our objective is to work towards a timely exit solution that returns value to creditors at the earliest opportunity.
Our current portfolio of insolvency assignments includes some of the largest and most complex in the market, such as Independent Insurance, Orion Insurance, Chester Street (formerly Iron Trades) and Folksam UK.