Please note that following its liquidation, Carillion has ceased trading and all contracts have transitioned to alternative third party providers. The information below is provided to support former Carillion employees.

Carillion Saudi Arabia LLC (“CSA”)

On 15 January 2018, Carillion Plc and a number of its subsidiaries were placed into liquidation with the Official Receiver appointed as Liquidator. David Kelly and certain partners from PwC UK LLP were appointed as Special Managers of Carillion Plc and its key trading subsidiaries by the High Court of Justice to support the Official Receiver and to help manage the affairs, business and property of the Carillion Group.

Whilst CSA is part of the Carillion Group, it has not entered an insolvency process. The Special Managers understand that a number of creditors have filed claims with the Saudi Court but as yet, no one has taken steps to wind up CSA. A number of former employees also have claims against CSA which they have been unable to progress. Unfortunately, without managers controlling the company locally, these creditors have been unable to advance their claims against the company.  As Special Managers of the ultimate shareholder, we have been working with local advisors and lawyers to understand what we could do to facilitate CSA entering a formal process which would allow the former employees and creditors to lodge their claims.  

The issue the Special Managers of Carillion Plc face as ultimate shareholders of CSA is the complete lack of books and records for the company, which are needed to meet the conditions laid down by Saudi law to allow CSA to make an application to the Saudi Courts to have a liquidator appointed. Unfortunately, as shareholders, we have no authority to engage with the company's bank, debtors or creditors to allow an assessment of its current financial position and whether there would be sufficient assets to fund the liquidation and / or pay a dividend to creditors after the costs of the process had been met.   It would of course be possible for a creditor to make an application under Schedule 2 of the Saudi Insolvency Laws if certain conditions were met, however, to date, no creditor has been prepared to make such an application.

The Special Managers, as ultimate shareholders of CSA, have currently exhausted all their efforts to facilitate a liquidation of the Saudi entity.  If you know of or are aware of any creditors who have sufficient documentation to evidence their claims to the Saudi Courts and who may be willing to work with the Special Managers of Carillion Plc in making an application to the Courts for the liquidation of CSA, please contact uk_carillion@pwc.com.

The key to such an application is having documents that the Court will accept.  For the avoidance of doubt, set out below is a list of the documentation a Saudi Court would expect to see in any application to appoint a liquidator:

Application filed by a Creditor

1.       proof that the debt is due, payable, of specified amount and reason, and proof of relevant securities, if any;

2.       the amount of debt or total amount of the applicant’s debts, provided that such amount is not less than the amount specified by the Bankruptcy Commission (currently 50,000 Saudi Riyals)

3.       proof that the debt is due and payable by virtue of an execution of deed or an ordinary document; and

4.       proof that the creditor has requested repayment from the debtor twenty-eight (28) days prior to the date of filing the application, but the debtor failed to repay or dispute the debt.

Alternatively, if you are aware of the location of CSA's books and records which are needed to facilitate any attempt to place the company into an insolvency process, please let uk_carillion@pwc.com know.

Please note that CSA does not fall under the UK insolvency of the Carillion Group and as such, any creditors of CSA cannot form part of the liabilities of those UK entities.

Frequently asked questions from former Carillion employees are detailed below. Should this not answer your query, please contact us on the contact details provided at the end of this page:


Question: Reference request

Answer: The Company is in liquidation and we hold limited records on former Carillion employees. If the employee in question was employed by the Company post 15 January 2018, the employee will already have been provided with a factual reference for prospective employers. As such, please contact the employee directly to request a copy of this. If the employee was not employed by the Company post 15 January 2018, we are regrettably unable to provide any further information on their employment.


Question: P45, P60 and P11D requests

Answer: These have previously been issued to all employees, unfortunately we can no longer issue duplicates as we hold limited records on former employees.


Question: Payslip requests

Answer: Unfortunately, due to the liquidation we hold limited records on former Carillion employees. As a result we are unable to provide you with any payslips.


Question: Training / qualification records request

Answer: Please contact the awarding / accreditation body who should be able to assist you.


Support with finding a new job

Extensive efforts were made to support people to find new roles with other employers.

Jobcentre Plus is available to support any former Carillion employees affected by the liquidation.

The National Careers Service provides free, up to date and impartial information, advice and guidance on careers, skills and the labour market in England. Call a professional careers adviser on 0800 100 900 (8am to 10pm daily).

Read this redundancy fact sheet for more information:

Looking for work and claiming benefits if you’re made redundant


Getting help with your application for redundancy payments

If you worked directly for the liquidated companies under an employment contract you may be entitled to redundancy and other related payments from the Insolvency Service.

Self-employed contractors and agency workers who provide services to the companies are not eligible to apply for redundancy payments.

If you were an employee of the liquidated companies you will have received from the Special Managers a case reference number (for example CN12345678). Once you have this information you can apply online.


Form RP1  Claim Reference Number - Claiming for Redundancy Pay

Form RP1 entitles you to claim for outstanding monies due to you including statutory redundancy entitlement. You are entitled to claim statutory redundancy if you have been continuously employed by the Company for more than two years.

The Special Managers on behalf of the Official Receiver have issued letters to all individuals affected by the liquidation including the data the Redundancy Payments Service (RPS) requires to make the payment that may be due to employees.

Please note that salary for the purpose of all claims handled by the RPS will be subject to the statutory maximum limit of £489 or £509 per week, depending on the date that your employment terminated.

The RPS has established a specialist team spanning both the Redundancy Payments Service in the Insolvency Service and Carillion’s HR department to process payments for claims payable for redundancy pay on the form RP1 as quickly as possible. As a result of the systems the RPS have established to prioritise these payments the RPS are aiming to pay your claim quicker than their agreed 14 day target.

If you have received your Claim reference number and have not completed the online RP1 we would encourage you to do so at your earliest convenience to ensure you receive any statutory amounts that may be due to you.

Please note the Claim Reference numbers are unique and should in no circumstances be shared as this may delay agreement and payment of your claim.


Form RP2 - Claiming for Statutory Notice Pay

Form RP2 is for claiming compensation for loss of notice.

The RPS will send you a claim form (RP2) directly. You will not receive this until after the end of your statutory notice period. You do not need to do anything, this will happen automatically. The length of your statutory notice period will depend upon your length of service with the company.

You will be entitled to one week’s notice after one month’s service, two weeks after two years, then one week for every complete year you worked. The statutory maximum is 12 weeks. For example, an employee who had worked for the company for 12 years or more will not receive an RP2 form for 12 weeks from the date of their redundancy. Employees with a shorter length of service will receive their forms at an earlier date.

Any part of your notice that you have not worked and where you have received wages from a new job or any benefits you were entitled to (even if you did not claim them) will be deducted from your claim for statutory notice pay. This part is not taxable, although basic tax is taken into account when calculating the amount due to you.

Any contractual notice should be claimed separately in the insolvency proceedings.

Should you not receive a form or wish to enquire about a payment, please contact the RPS directly by telephone on 0330 331 0020 or by email at redundancyclaims@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk


Redundancy support in Scotland

In Scotland, redundancy support is provided through the Scottish Government’s Partnership Action for Continuing Employment (PACE) initiative.

The PACE Redundancy Helpline 0800 917 8000 is operated by Skills Development Scotland or help is available at www.redundancyscotland.co.uk.

Facing Redundancy Scotland Guide – http://www.skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk/media/41081/pace-facing-redundancy-brochure-a5-single-pages-1.pdf


More information

Further useful information can also be accessed via these sites:





Agency workers

Agency workers should contact their agency with any questions relating to their engagement.  


Support for employees

The remaining Carillion employees left the business on 31 December 2018.

Should you have an employee related query please email details of your query along with your full name and employee reference number to uk_employees_carillion@pwc.com  where we will aim to respond to your query.

For any queries in relation to pensions, please call 0800 7561012 to speak to a member of the Pensions Advisory Service. For any suppliers, customers, investors, agency workers or subcontractors who need to contact the Company in liquidation or the Special Managers, please visit the Carillion liquidation website at www.pwc.co.uk/carillion for further information on where to address your query.

Follow us